Banish Acne and Start the New Year with Clear Skin
Clear, healthy radiant skin helps exude confidence. Unfortunately for some, the long hot sweaty summer may have taken its toll leaving you with few (or more) breakouts. Whether you have the odd breakout or suffer from stubborn acne, there is always something that can be done before resorting to antibiotics or harsh medications.
## ACNE - WHY ME?
Before we look at what we can do to get rid of these bad guys once and for all we need to identify exactly what is happening to your skin that is contributing to your acne development. Acne is a multifactorial condition, which means there is more than one contributing factor and no two people can be treated the same. We assess acne by the grade category it fits into (see below) and look at your lifestyle and past management history.
Acne presents in different grades, and you will usually fit into one or more of the following categories.
- Grade 1: Breakouts are not frequent and can usually be managed with good skincare and the occasional professional treatment. Open comedones or blackheads and blemishes that occur when the skin is clogged with excess sebum (an oily substance used to lubricate the skin).
- Grade 2: Consists of a combination of puss filled pimples and congestion under the surface of the skin. These are mostly non-inflammatory lesions, comedones, milia and a few inflammatory papulopustular lesions. This type of acne requires more attention and a skin consultation to develop a skin management plan. We offer a complimentary first consultation to discuss a possible treatment plan.
- Grade 3: Similar to grade two but with more inflammation and the number of breakouts increase significantly. Scar formation tends to be more apparent in grades three and four. Clinical treatments and a skin management plan required.
- Grade 4: Nodulocystic or cystic acne where the skin displays several pustules, papules, and large cysts. There is severe inflammation and pain as cystic acne is very painful. Medical treatment is required.
####Model Kendall Jenner revealed (at the Golden Globes where the above image was taken) that she uses Laser Genesis to help keep her breakouts under control but also gives her older sisters credit for saving her skin.“I remember sitting by the pool at home, and my older sisters always told me to keep my hands off my face and to never pick.”
## REDUCING THE INCIDENCE OF ACNE
Avoiding the following will help reduce acne formation:
- Stripping the skin with harsh products to remove unwanted oil can feel extremely satisfying yet have detrimental results. If your skin is feeling extremely tight after cleansing chances are you have probably removed your natural skin barrier. This results in dehydration and increase of bacteria that can lead to acne. Our skin needs some natural oils to protect itself from unwanted nasty’s.
- Don’t pick! Every time you pick at a breakout you are most likely to increase your chances of scaring and introducing more bacteria onto the skin. See a professional for extractions.
- Commit! We have many clients who have tried multiple treatments in the past but never finished a full course of treatment. Don’t give up, as acne improvement can take some time. Invest in your skin for the long haul and reap the rewards.
## WHAT CAN I DO TO TREAT MY ACNE?
Some treatment options include:
- Cosmeceutical Skincare: Topical retinoids such as a retinol serum can be used to dissolve dead skin layers which will help unlogged the pores; this product also promotes collagen production which will assist in reducing scar formation. Retinol should only be used in the evening due to their photosensitizing factors.
-Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) can be found in both skin care products and chemical peel treatments. This gentle hydrating acid helps to exfoliate and restore the skin to combat stripped skin and unwanted blemishes.
-Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA’s) again can be found in both skin care products and clinic treatments. This acid is lipophilic (oil-loving), which means it will unclog congested pores, reduce oil flow and reduce P.acnes bacteria (bacteria responsible for acne development).
To find out which treatments or products are best for your skin please book in for a complimentary skin consultation with one of our friendly and knowledgeable Dermal Clinicians.
- Blue Light LED: A gentle light treatment that reduces P.acnes bacteria. The LED (Light emitting diode) utilises a 415nm wavelength, which is used to reduce inflammation, increase wound healing and diminish acne lesions. We recommend a course of 8-10 treatment performed 2 x a week for best results. This treatment takes just 15 minutes per session and is suitable for all ages and skin types.
- Chemical Peels: Your dermal clinician will select specific exfoliating products to target your acne type, which will help reduce dead skin build up, bacteria and scar formation. Chemical peels can range from little to no downtime. The sensation is a mild tingling and with some peels a moderate warmth is felt on the skin. The exfoliating solution is only on the skin for a few minutes so this treatment is very well tolerated. We can perform a small test patch on the skin so you can experience the sensation prior to treatment. A salicylic acid peel does wonders for acne and oily skin. Treatments are recommended in packages of 4, 6 or 8 depending on the grade of acne you have. Ask about our package special during your consultation.
## A FEW WORDS ABOUT SCARS
Yes, you can treat scaring, however, avoiding scar formation by treating your acne sooner rather than later will be a lot easier than having to remove existing scarring.
The more recent the scar, the easier it is to improve.
Some treatment options for scaring include:
- Dermal Roller - Our skin roller can be used for the convenience of your own home. It’s a perfect way to stimulate collagen, which will reduce visible scarring over time. Suitable for all skin types.
- Skin Needling - This in clinic treatment will stimulate new collagen growth reducing visible scar tissue. We recommend a course of 6-8 treatments, performed once a month for best results. Suitable for all skin types.
- Radio Frequency – An electrical current that will heat up the tissue to stimulate the new skin. As new skin is produced your scars will improve.
- Fraxel - A laser resurfacing treatment that will reduce mild to deep scaring and pigmentation. 1-2 treatments are recommended for best results.
- Dermal Filler – A hydrating gel can be injected into pitted scars to fill hollow appearance. We recommend trying above treatments first to reduce scar tissue naturally for a more permanent outcome however dermal filler can be used on stubborn scars and lasts between 6-12 months.
Model Kendall Jenner - Golden Globes 2018
Model Kendall Jenner revealed (at the Golden Globes where the above image was taken) that she uses Laser Genesis to help keep her breakouts under control but also gives her older sisters credit for saving her skin.“I remember sitting by the pool at home, and my older sisters always told me to keep my hands off my face and to never pick.”
Start the new year with clear skin
Book a Complimentary Skin Assessment with our experienced dermal clinicians.
03 9598 5333